Thursday, September 2, 2010

grade one

Oh my...I knew this day would come. I just didn't think it would arrive so fast. Today was Aidan's first day of grade one. Wow. It's tough even seeing it in writing, let alone saying it over and over like I did today. I can't believe it.
I must say though, the day went really well. We walked to school together in the morning which was so nice to do. Aidan was really quiet as he held my hand super tight, evidently thinking about how the day would go. Thankfully though, a few nights ago we were able to head over to the new school (which is completely amazing by the way!) and have a look around, meet his teacher (who is fantastic too), and spend some time in his new classroom. This was a huge help. Both for Aidan and for me too!
This morning, everyone met in the gym - parents and kids - and we listened to an amazing welcome speech delivered by Aidan's new principal. Then it was time to go. As the teachers were gathering their new students, Aidan looked up at me with those big blue eyes brimming with tears and asked me to please walk with him to his class. I gave him a big hug - managing to fight off tears of my own - and held his hand as we walked with his class (and several more mom's!) to his new classroom. Once inside he immediately hung up his backpack, found his place, and looked at me and smiled that "I am going to be ok" kinda smile. It was then I knew. I knew that he would be in good hands and my not so little boy was going to have a great time in grade one.



Oh....check out the onlookers as Aidan was leaving for his first day.
Talk about a cheering squad!

No comments: